Tooling to translate a book.
To translate a French tabletop rpg, made by Fabien Hildwein, called Sphynx, I am looking for a nice workflow and tools. I want to try to use only Open Source software. Lets see what I need.
The 1100+ words book a .docx file. I guess written with Microsoft Word. The author also share with us an export of the book in .PDF. We are three persons working together: two translators and the original author. We are going to convert the document to text. Then, host it. Finally, we will be able to start translating.
- Pandoc [GPL] for converting
- Visual Studio Code [MIT] for writing
- Git [GPL] for versioning
- GitLab [MIT] for hosting
- GitBook [Apache] for the architecture
- Create project on GitLab
- Host GitBook on GitLab
- Convert from .docx to .md
- Format the French version to feat GitBook architecture
- Push the French version
- Start Translating on a different branch
I may use Wekan [MIT], if we need more organization and a task manager. I think GitLab’s issues will be good enough. We will see.